GET PUMPED UP!!!
- RECOVER FROM D.O.M.S. WITH RECOVAPRO!
- REVIEW ON THE EFFECTS & BENEFITS OF VIBRATION THERAPY
After a tiring routine at the gym, a hard day’s work at the office or an intense cleaning of the house, there is always a probability of feeling pain, and the pain is likely to affect your overall functioning and even has a profound influence on your family life and relationship. It seriously affects one's quality of life.
The feeling of soreness after an intense physical activity is likely to be the result of one of two, depending on its occurrence.
- Pain felt during or immediately after an intense physical activity is called acute muscle soreness, and it is a burning sensation due to lactic acid build up.
- Muscular pain and stiffness that typically occur up at least 8 to 10 hours with soreness peaking 24 to 48 hours after an unaccustomed strenuous activity is delayed onset muscle soreness, commonly referred to as DOMS (Armstrong, 1984), and is a result of muscle tissue damage.
Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is a common result of physical activity that stresses the muscle tissue beyond its limits. It usually occurs with eccentric or a lengthening contraction of a muscle, which creates microscopic tears to the muscle fibers resulting to inflammation and pain.
With DOMS, your muscles are feeling weak, fragile and cannot withstand additional load, especially if you workout a bit too aggressively. Your muscles can be potentially damaged in the long run and can include the surrounding soft tissues, leaving you more disabled.
At its onset, DOMS should be treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation), especially if the muscle is swollen. Other treatment options include:
- Wearing of pressure garments, like compression tights, socks, and arm sleeves
- Gentle massage during the initial stage of inflammation
- Light stretching of the muscles affected
- Low level heat has also been known in DOMS pain reduction (Mayer et al, 2006)
- Light and low-intensity exercise
- NSAIDs may be used for temporary pain relief
Massage and D.O.M.S.
Gentle massage has been shown in research studies to provide a reduction in the duration and severity of DOMS (Valle et al, 2014). However, deep tissue massage should be avoided during the early phase to avoid aggravation of injury.
Your muscles got to have something in order to repair and recover fast—it needs blood and oxygen, and the easiest way to get blood efficiently pumped into the muscles is through massage, either administered by a massage therapist or better yet, a massage gun. So, GET PUMPED UPand Recover Like a PRO with RECOVAPRO MASSAGE GUNS.